All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.93
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $73.27
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.59
- AU $41.64Trending at AU $45.10
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.47
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.34
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.40
About this product
- DescriptionIn Behind the Wheel , Robert Puyal presents over fifty idols of the automobile world, including pioneers of the automotive industry, champion racing drivers, superstar car aficionados, and celebrated fictional characters. Among the inspirational figures featured is Henry Ford, who, overcoming his illiteracy, broke the land speed record with a machine of his own design. He went on to make the joys of driving available to the widest possible public with his invative, mass-produced Ford Model T. From a similarly modest background, Juan Manuel Fangio started out as a mechanic in a small village in Argentina, competing in perilous amateur road races before his talent was finally discovered. Sent to Europe on a government grant, he won five Formula One world championships, becoming arguably the greatest driver in the history of the sport. Steve McQueen and Paul Newman are among the many Hollywood stars to have been bitten by the racing bug; when James Dean met his death behind the wheel of his Porsche 550 RS nicknamed Little Bastard, a legend was born. Meanwhile, the cars themselves have also played starring roles onscreen. High-speed thrills have always attracted a cast of characters as diverse as it is devoted, and this book is a classic tribute.
- Author BiographyRobert Puyal has been an automobile journalist for thirty years, and specializes in motorsport and the history of car makes and models.
- Author(s)Robert Puyal
- PublisherEditions Flammarion
- Date of Publication06/09/2010
- SubjectMotor Sports & Cycling
- Place of PublicationParis
- Country of PublicationFrance
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight1930 g
- Width247 mm
- Height315 mm
- Spine32 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.