Being Gay and Lesbian in a Catholic High School: Beyond the Uniform by Michael Maher, Mary Elizabeth Sperry, John DeCecco (Paperback, 2001)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $68.48Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $26.95+ AU $7.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by ausreseller
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $34.44
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $20.37Trending at AU $22.08
About this product
- DescriptionRecognize the homophobia and anti-gay violence in a respected institution! The only study of its kind, Being Gay and Lesbian in a Catholic High School: Beyond the Uniform offers compelling evidence to Catholic educators, clergy, and laypeople that their superb academic institutions are t fulfilling the clear mandate of the Church on inclusive loving behavior toward sexual mirities. Yet the facts presented in Being Gay and Lesbian in a Catholic High School prove that too often they encourage or allow stereotyping, homophobia, and anti-gay violence. The experiences recounted in this disturbing book range from feeling differenct and being pressured to date the opposite sex to suffering life-changing violence. Virtually all the students, even the most deeply closeted, felt the negative effects of anti-gay jokes and verbal harassment. The most tragic experience in Being Gay and Lesbian in a Catholic High School is the story of a boy who was called Sodomy by his classmates. In his affluent suburban Catholic high school, he was routinely mocked, tormented, and physically assaulted--all with the kwledge of the teachers and administration. Driven to several suicide attempts, he was hospitalized for depression and finally dropped out. This powerful and moving book presents detailed information on the problem of homophobia in Catholic education, including: * personal testimonies of gay and lesbian former Catholic high school students * an original study of attitudes found among Catholic high school students on the topic of homosexuality * an extensive summary of official Catholic teaching on homosexuality and homosexuals * an analysis of the discrepancies between the prevailing attitudes and actions and the Church's official teaching * solid theoretical background information on the psychology of gay teenagers * discussions of experiences in same-sex, mixed-gender, and mir seminary high schools * memories of sexual relationships with classmates and priestsThse painful tales from Catholic school alumni will disturb, enrage, and sadden you. With this poignant and insightful book, educators in public, private, and parochial shcools can explore new ways to change anti-gay attitudes and prevent anti-gay violence.
- Author(s)John DeCecco,Mary Elizabeth Sperry,Michael Maher
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication14/05/2001
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationBinghamton
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHaworth Press Inc
- Weight249 g
- Width156 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.