All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWith a new translation of the Dui Elegies Who, if I cried out, would hear me among the angels'/orders? Rainer Maria Rilke's Dui Elegies opens with one of the most powerful poetic expressions of the search for meaning in the modern world. Published in 1923, the Elegies would influence important philosophers on the Continent, including Heidegger. But with a few exceptions, Rilke's poetry has t had an impact on philosophy in the Anglo-American world. In Being Here Is Glorious, James D. Reid offers a fresh translation of the Elegies, which hews to the form of the original and provides his own meditation on the place of poetry in philosophy. Reid makes a convincing case that poetry and philosophy can address the problem of finding things significant and worth affirming in light of various reasons to doubt the value of the world in which we find ourselves cast.
- Author BiographyRainer Maria Rilke (1875-1926) is considered one of the German language's greatest twentieth-century poets. Among other works, he wrote Letters to a Young Poet, The Sonnets to Orpheus, and the novel The Notebooks of Malte Laurids Brigge. Editions of Rilke's Letters on God and Letters to a Young Woman, The Book of Hours: Prayers to a Lowly God, Duino Elegies, and New Poems are published by Northwestern University Press. James D. Reid is an associate professor of philosophy at the Metropolitan State University of Denver, USA. He has written on the philosophical legacies of Kant, Fichte, Dilthey, and Heidegger, among others. He coedited Thoreau's Importance for Philosophy (2012).
- Author(s)James D. Reid
- PublisherNorthwestern University Press
- Date of Publication31/12/2015
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationEvanston
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintNorthwestern University Press
- Weight386 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.88
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.15
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $15.66
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.21
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.08
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.20
- AU $30.32Trending at AU $31.91
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.