All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn this absorbing autobiography, Herman B Wells, the legendary former president of Indiana University, recalls his small-town boyhood, the strong influence of his parents, his pioneering work with Indiana banks during the Great Depression, and his connection with IU, which began as a student when the still provincial school had fewer than 3,000 students. At the end of his 25-year tenure as president, IU was a university with an international reputation and a student body that would soon exceed 30,000. Both lighthearted and serious, Wells's reflections describe in welcome detail how he approached the job, his observations on administration, his thoughts on academic freedom and tenure, his approach to student and alumni relations, and his views on the role of the university as a cultural center. Being Lucky is a urishing brew of the memories, advice, wit, and wisdom of a remarkable man.
- Author BiographyHerman B Wells (1902-2000) served Indiana University in a variety of capacities, most notably as its 11th president and as chancellor, and was pivotal in IU's development into a world-class institution of higher learning.
- Author(s)Herman B. Wells
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/1980
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Note49 b&w illus.
- Weight794 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
Save on Textbooks
- AU $28.12Trending at AU $33.15
- AU $17.71Trending at AU $20.33
- AU $34.88Trending at AU $36.66
- AU $41.99Trending at AU $44.93
- AU $49.12Trending at AU $65.12
- AU $15.91Trending at AU $22.03
- AU $49.57Trending at AU $56.09
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.