All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
- AU $28.00Trending at AU $36.05
About this product
- DescriptionAt a time of increasing financial pressure on families - as well as the services that support them - children are doubly disadvantaged. The ecomical mass-provision of proven approaches appears to be an unquestionable strategy. In this frank and revealing book, written by an experienced child and adolescent psychiatrist of eclectic and questioning persuasion, the argument is made that we are travelling in the wrong direction. A blinkered pursuit of empirical evidence and uniform delivery is leading us away from any sensitive and reciprocal relationship between caring professionals and the young individuals whose interests they are there to serve.Drawing on attachment and psychodynamic approaches, as well as systemic, values-based and mindful practice, Being With and Saying Goodbye describes an attitude that should be the prerequisite and medium of all child and adolescent work that has therapeutic intention. Unackwledged, even reviled, this ghost in the machine is threatened with extinction.Respectful of individuality, as well as the instinctual strengths and emerging automy of young people, Being With and Saying Goodbye challenges the fact-based, risk-averse, and quantifying milieu w prevalent. It provides a Yin to the dominant Yang, and makes a plea for the reinstatement of balance and personal discovery.
- Author BiographyAndrew West studied medicine at the universities of Cambridge, Leeds, and Oxford, and went on to work in medicine and psychiatry in Oxford and New Zealand. He now works as a child and adolescent psychiatrist in the National Health Service.
- Author(s)Andrew Fleming West
- PublisherKarnac Books
- Date of Publication15/12/2015
- SubjectPsychiatry & Clinical Psychology: Professional
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintKarnac Books
- Weight227 g
- Width147 mm
- Height230 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.