All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.18
- AU $13.90Trending at AU $17.77
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.18
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.24
- AU $23.32Trending at AU $32.85
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $79.99
- AU $50.05Trending at AU $66.59
About this product
- DescriptionDancer/scholars from around the world have contributed essays on belly dance to this book. They all carefully consider the transformation of an improvised folk form from North Africa and the Middle East into a popular global dance practice. <br><br>The essays explore the differences between the solo improvisational forms of North Africa and the Middle East, often referred to as raqs sharki, which are part of family celebrations, and the numerous globalised versions of this dance form, belly dance, derived from the movement vocabulary of North Africa and the Middle East but with a variety of performance styles distinct from its site of origin. Local versions of belly dance have grown and changed along with the role that dance plays in the community. The global evolution of belly dance is an inspiring example of the interplay of imagination, the internet and the social forces of local communities.
- Author Biography<strong>Caitlin E. McDonald</strong> holds a Ph.D. in Arab and Islamic Studies from the University of Exeter and works for TSL Education, publishers of the <em>Times Higher Educational Supplement</em> and <em>Teach Educate Share</em>. She lives in London. <br><br><strong>Barbara Sellers-Young</strong> is Dean of the Faculty of Fine Arts and a professor in the Dance Department at York University, Toronto, Canada.
- PublisherMcFarland & Co Inc
- Date of Publication30/07/2013
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Place of PublicationJefferson, NC
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintMcFarland & Co Inc
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight318 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byBarbara Sellers-Young,Caitlin E. McDonald
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.