All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAcclaimed as the world's first cotton mill town, Belper nestles by the River Derwent, 8 miles rth of Derby. From a tiny village by an ancient deer park, it was transformed by the Strutt family and others into a vibrant industrial powerhouse by the end of the nineteenth century. The town faced huge challenges during the twentieth century as mills and factories closed, and Belper adapted to survive. The present-day town lies at the heart of the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site, which is recognised as the birthplace of the factory system. Belper played a significant role in the development of the Industrial Age, and although much of the industry has gone, it continues to thrive today. Within the pages of this book, Belper enthusiast Adrian Farmer flits through the town's history with a unique selection of old photographs, prints and postcards to portray life for Belper's past residents, and highlight the celebrations and struggles this bustling town has witnessed.
- Author BiographyWell-known local historian and researcher, and once the Editor of the Ripley and Heanor News, Adrian Farmer is the heritage co-ordinator of the World Heritage Site - in 2010 he was asked to switch on Belper town's Christmas lights. In 2012 he was highly commended by Visit England in their first Tourism Superstar award scheme, which attracted a lot of press attention. He is the author of three books on Belper, one of which being Belper Through Time and he is working on another book with Amberley - Derwent Valley Mills Through Time.
- Author(s)Adrian Farmer
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication14/11/2013
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Series TitleFrom Old Photographs
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Weight340 g
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine8 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.11Trending at AU $24.23
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.16
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $13.95
- AU $15.52Trending at AU $23.37
- AU $30.82Trending at AU $34.97
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.45
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.