All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBeneath the Big Top is a social history of the circus, from its ancient roots to the rise of the 'modern' tented travelling shows. A performer and founder of a circus group, Steve Ward draws on eye-witness accounts and contemporary interviews to explore the triumphs and disasters of the circus world. He reveals the stories beneath the big top during the golden age of the circus and the lives of circus folk, which were equally colourful outside the ring: * Pablo Fanque, Britain's first black circus proprietor * The Chipperfield dynasty, who started out in 1684 on the frozen Thames * Katie Sandwina, world's strongest woman and part-time crime-fighter * The Sylvain brothers, who fell in love with the same woman in the ring
- Author BiographyA former performer and director of a prize-winning youth circus group, STEVE WARD also completed an MA on the role of circus in education. Steve performed with provincial groups, then developed a successful one man show, before branching out into teaching and working with circuses worldwide. He later set up the National Association of Youth Circus, and his Leeds-based group Circus Zanni won several awards. Today, Steve works as a genealogist and freelance writer, although he still occasionally performs, creates and directs circus shows.
- Author(s)Steve Ward
- PublisherPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Date of Publication30/09/2014
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationBarnsley
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPen & Sword Books Ltd
- Content Note60 integrated images
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.66Trending at AU $38.33
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.