All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionPoetry affected Benjamin Britten's musical ability and style of his composition. Friendships and collaborations with writers - Auden and Forster among them - left their mark. Arguably, other composer of songs, t even Schubert or Shumann, set poems of such range and quality. All the 360 poems Britten set are included in this book. They range from Donne's complex Holy Sonnets to the deceptive simplicity of Blake's Oh rose thou art sick . They include anymous ballads, modern work and poems in other languages (with translations). Full details of the source and use of each poem are given.
- Author BiographyBoris Ford commissioned Benjamin Britten to write the children's opera Noye's Fludde when he was Head of Schools Broadcasting for Independent Television. His distinguished career has included a variety of professional and academic posts. He was general editor of The New Pelican Guide to English Literature and The Cambridge Guide to the Arts in Britain and edited the Universities Quarterly from 1955 to 1986.
- PublisherCarcanet Press Ltd
- Date of Publication23/05/1996
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationManchester
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCarcanet Press Ltd
- Weight509 g
- Width130 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byBoris Ford
- Edition StatementNew edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $46.25Trending at AU $49.34
- AU $3.75Trending at AU $7.37
- AU $37.10Trending at AU $43.40
- AU $27.04Trending at AU $31.81
- AU $70.90Trending at AU $79.51
- AU $20.50Trending at AU $24.39
- AU $22.60Trending at AU $23.01
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.