All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionThis is a superbly illustrated exploration of one of the most important works of comparative religion ever published. In an era of intense religious conflict in Europe and ongoing exploration of the lands beyond Europe, the Ceremonies et costumes religieuses de tous les peoples du monde (1723-37), written by Jean Frederic Bernard and illustrated by rewned engraver Bernard Picart, set a new agenda for thinking about faith and provided a lasting visual template for representing the world's religions. Bernard Picart and the First Global Vision of Religion approaches this much-cited but little-studied work from a variety of angles, with fifteen scholarly essays examining Bernard and Picart's authorial and artistic strategies, the handling of religious differences, and the cultural context that fostered the creation of one of the most influential works of comparative religion ever published.
- Author BiographyLynn Hunt is Eugen Weber Professor of Modern European History at the University of California. Margaret Jacob is Distinguished Professor of History at the University of California. Wijnand Mijnhardt is director of the Descartes Centre for the History and Philosophy of the Science and Humanities at Utrecht University
- Author(s)Lynn Hunt
- PublisherGetty Trust Publications
- Date of Publication01/02/2010
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationSanta Monica CA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGetty Research Institute,U.S.
- Content Note8-colour & 128 b&w illustrations
- Weight1112 g
- Width177 mm
- Height255 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byMargaret Jacob,Wijnan Mijnhardt
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.