All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $18.96
- AU $15.07Trending at AU $18.26
- AU $20.99Trending at AU $25.96
- AU $14.96Trending at AU $23.20
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $14.52
- AU $10.15Trending at AU $12.76
- AU $20.68Trending at AU $23.62
About this product
- DescriptionLong ago, the only berries on the tundra were hard, tasteless, little crowberries. As Anana watches the ladies complain bitterly while picking berries for the Fall Festival, she decides to use her magic to help. Atsa-ii-yaa (Berry), Atsa-ii-yaa (Berry), Atsaukina! (Be a berry!), Anana sings under the full moon turning four dolls into little girls that run and tumble over the tundra creating patches of fat, juicy berries: blueberries, cranberries, salmonberries, and raspberries. The next morning Anana and the ladies fill basket after basket with berries for the Fall Festival. Thanks to Anana, there are plenty of tasty berries for the agutak (Eskimo tee cream) at the festival and forevermore. As she did with THE EYE OF THE NEEDLE (praised by the New York Times Book Review, a San Francisco Chronicle Choice, and a Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Picture Book Award winner), Yup'ik Eskimo elder Betty Huffmon shared this folktale with author/illustrator Teri Sloat, who brings it to life with her delightful illustrations.
- Author BiographyTeri Sloat is the author of THERE WAS AN OLD LADY WHO SWALLOWED A TROUT!, as well as the author and/or illustrator of many other books for children. A former teacher, she lives with her husband and their three children north of San Francisco. Betty Huffmon was the first Yup'ik teacher in Alaska. She worked at the Bilingual Education Center in Bethel, and later directed the Bilingual/Bicultural Center after having been part of a team to make Yup'ik a first language in some of the delta schools and other villages in western Alaska. She also shared the tale for THE EYE OF THE NEEDLE with author/illustrator Teri Sloat.
- Author(s)Betty Huffmon,Teri Sloat
- PublisherAlaska Northwest Books
- Date of Publication15/08/2015
- SubjectChildren's Fiction
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAlaska Northwest Books
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight349 g
- Width203 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine6 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Paper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.