All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the Victorian era to the early years of the 1960s, Summer in Britain meant a mass exodus, as millions of Britons boarded steam locomotives and charabancs to swap the drudgery of life in the country's industrial heartlands for the fleeting pleasures of the coast. Through the stories of the most popular destinations - from Brighton and Margate to Scarborough and Blackpool - Beside the Sea steps back in time to relive the heyday of the Great British seaside. What it discovers is a cultural and architectural golden age. A time when the grand hotels, ballrooms, holiday camps, piers and amusements were thronged with visitors during high season. An era when the variety acts who packed out the theatres and music halls were among the most famous names in the land. And a world in which the beach meant fish and chips, donkey rides and bathing suits, t palm trees, bikinis and white sands. Combining stunning archive photography with memories from people who worked, or holidayed, at these resorts, Wish You Were Here celebrates a forgotten time and place in British life, and offers a lament for the magical beachfronts that have since fallen into decay, or been wiped away by developers.
- Author BiographyAuthor and journalist SARAH FREEMAN is currently features editor of the Yorkshire Post newspaper. While born and brought up in landlocked Leeds, she spent much of her childhood in a cagoule, eating egg sandwiches on a beach in Scarborough and to this day still has an unhealthy obsession with two-penny slot machines.
- Author(s)Sarah Freeman
- PublisherAurum Press Ltd
- Date of Publication07/05/2015
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAurum Press Ltd
- Content NoteColour and b/w images throughout
- Weight1157 g
- Width214 mm
- Height286 mm
- Spine25 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.