Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.40
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.83
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $96.53
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.28
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $37.18
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.95
- AU $69.55Trending at AU $86.07
About this product
- DescriptionProfiles of 100 'cultural icons' famous between 1927 and 1953, mainly in the UK but some from USA. A comprehensive social history from the point of view of popular entertainment (radio, dance bands, stage actors, movie stars, singers, fictional characters) and sport of the period. Includes guidelines to using the book for reminiscence. Amusingly illustrated with original drawings. Best Remembered covers the period from about 1927 to 1953 which were the formative years of many of those w in or approaching the Third Age, that is, in the 55-80 age-bands. It is a 25 or 26-year phase that covered some or all of the childhood, adolescence and young adulthood of this age-group. It looks at the 'cultural icons' of that quarter century and offers tastes of the appropriate popular culture of the time. It encourages reminiscence to help older people put their own life into perspective, finding some sense of self- identity in the process. From these broad bands of popular culture a hundred of the 'best remembered' of such personalities have been selected and their brief profiles included. There are seventy idols from the fields of comedy, popular song, dance music, radio, the 'light' stage and both British and American movies. That leaves room for 20 sportsmen and women, neatly divided home and away, Britain and elsewhere, plus an intriguing collection of fictional names of the time, invented characters who, on radio or through some other medium, became extremely famous. The book includes tes on using Best Remembered for reminiscence purposes, for individuals or groups; a quiz; and references to relevant resources and organisations.
- Author BiographyEris Midwinter has written nearly 50 books covering topics from all aspects of popular culture (including many books on Cricket), social history, ageing issues,reminiscence to social policy.
- Author(s)Eric Midwinter
- PublisherThird Age Press
- Date of Publication11/02/2002
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThird Age Press
- Content Note100 b&w caricatures
- Width178 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Illustrator(s)Rufus Segar
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.