Save on Textbooks
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.80
- AU $69.53Trending at AU $85.96
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $71.25
- AU $35.12Trending at AU $54.56
- AU $17.60Trending at AU $22.27
- AU $29.91Trending at AU $39.11
- AU $35.62Trending at AU $37.45
About this product
- DescriptionWelcome to a tour of some of the recent advances in chemistry, taking in the cosmetic factory, the pharmacy, the grooming salon, the diet clinic, the power plant, the domestic cleaning company, and the art gallery along the way. Award-winning popular science writer John Emsley is our guide as he addresses questions of grooming, health, food, and sex. The trip is for all those of us wanting to kw more about the impact of chemical products on our everyday lives. Each chapter begins with a fictional news item from the future speculating on the possible benefits that might develop from further approaches to research, and each chapter ends by addressing an issue of concern related to the topics discussed. These include whether homeopathic medicines really work, date rape drugs, how the toxic chemical acrylamide got into our food, and whether great artists were affected by the pigments they used. With his informal style, linking well-founded chemicals kwledge to fun situations, the author presents the information in a way such that the layperson can easily understand the arguments, weighing up the risks and benefits for each product concerned. Includes a glossary containing all the technical terms used for n-specialists.
- Author BiographyBefore starting his second career as technology writer, Dr. John Emsley used to teach students at the King's College in London, UK. Since then he was writing more than 500 contributions for journals, magazines, radio and TV. For his great achievements as journalist he received several awards, such as the Rhone-Poulenc-Prize in 1995 for The Consumer's Good Chemical Guide , the original english version of Parfum, Portwein, PVC , and the GDCh Literaturpreis in 2003.
- Author(s)John Emsley
- PublisherWiley-VCH Verlag GmbH
- Date of Publication25/05/2007
- SubjectPopular Science
- Place of PublicationWeinheim
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintWiley-VCH Verlag GmbH
- Weight468 g
- Width154 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.