All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBetween Flights is the personal memoir of Sigourney Woods Cheek, written shortly before her death to cancer in 2010. Siggy was a much-loved friend to many in the Nashville community and even internationally. She became a published author late in life after she was diagsed with cancer, and her book, Patient Siggy, provided hope and healing to many, including the over 1,000 cyberspace friends she made during her battle with cancer. In her last years of battling the insidious form of leukemia kwn as Richter's Syndrome, she was more robust and engaged in life than ever as Patient Siggy. Her emergence as a skilled author and cyberspace guru was truly remarkable and a blessing that gave her the strength to rise each morning with optimism and meaning. Round after round of chemo, hair loss, intrusive needles, energy depletion, hospital stays and loss of familiar routines did t diminish the passion and spirit of this bold larger-than-life woman. Naturally an optimist and social creature, she attacked all of the horrors of her health battles by embarking on her journey of providing hope and healing to what became a community of well over 1,000 cyber friends. Most she had never met personally, but all became her intimate buddies who nurtured her and who were in turn nurtured by the simple human experience of sharing. These challenging last years of her life took her writing to a new level as reflected in her book, Patient Siggy, which went through three printings, carrying her hope and healing to thousands of others. Sigourney earned a bachelor's degree in art history from Manhattanville College and studied on the graduate level at Vanderbilt University. Active for many years in the Nashville fine arts community, she co-founded the Antiques and Garden Show of Nashville and served as Chairman of the Board and acting President and CEO of Cheekwood Botanical Gardens and Fine Arts Center. She also served on the boards of the Junior League of Nashville, the YMCA, Leadership Nashville, Nashville Institute for the Arts, the Garden Club of Nashville, and Belle Meade Metro Planning Commission. She also was elected to the vestry of Christ Church Cathedral, and was active in her support of Magdalene House, for which she also conducted writing workshops for women in recovery. Prior to her death in 2010, she and her husband, Jim Cheek, resided in Nashville for over 40 years. Together, they have three sons-Jamie, Daniel and Matthew-and three grandchildren.
- Author BiographySigourney Cheek earned a bachelor's degree in art history and studied on the graduate level at Vanderbilt University. She was active for many years in the Nashville fine arts community, co-founding the Antiques and Garden Show of Nashville and also serving as Chairman of the Board and acting President and CEO of Cheekwood Botanical Gardens and Fine Arts Center. She became a published author late in life after she was diagnosed with cancer, writing two books prior to her death in 2010.
- Author(s)Sigourney Cheek
- PublisherDunham Books
- Date of Publication01/10/2012
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationNashville
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDunham Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight417 g
- Width149 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine18 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.38Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.