All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhether ghosts, astrology or ESP, up to 80 per cent of the population believes in one or more aspects of the pararmal. Such beliefs are entertaining, and it is tempting to think of them as harmless. However, there is mounting evidence that pararmal beliefs can be dangerous - cases of children dying because parents rejected orthodox medicine in favour of alternative remedies, and 'psychics' who trade on the grief of the bereaved for personal profit and gain. Expenditure on the pararmal runs into billions of dollars each year. In Beyond Belief: Skepticism, Science and the Pararmal Martin Bridgstock provides an integrated understanding of what an evidence-based approach to the pararmal - a skeptical approach - involves, and why it is necessary. Bridgstock does t set out to show that all pararmal claims are necessarily false, but he does suggest that we all need the analytical ability and critical thinking skills to seek and assess the evidence for pararmal claims.
- Author BiographyMartin Bridgstock is a Senior Lecturer in School of Biomolecular and Physical Sciences at Griffith University.
- Author(s)Martin Bridgstock
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication20/10/2009
- SubjectAlternative Belief Systems
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note3 figures
- Weight320 g
- Width152 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $20.16Trending at AU $25.71
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $28.45Trending at AU $29.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.