All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $94.99Trending at AU $106.80
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.51
- AU $104.90Trending at AU $118.13
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.21
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $107.74
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $106.06
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.61
About this product
- DescriptionA fascinating examination of Caravaggio and others who adopted his dramatic style of painting The Italian painter kwn as Caravaggio (1571-1610) claims a place among the most revolutionary figures in the history of art. His intense naturalism, almost brutal realism, and dramatic use of light had a wide impact on European painters, including Orazio Gentileschi, Valentin de Boulogne, and Gerrit van Honthorst. Each of Caravaggio's followers absorbed something different from his work, propagating his stylistic legacy across Europe. In this extensively illustrated catalogue, Letizia Treves introduces the international Caravaggesque movement and traces the distinct artistic personalities of its leading players. Even w, Caravaggio's name overshadows the other talented artists who adopted his approach to narrative painting: the use of theatrical lighting to illuminate a story encapsulated in a single, dramatic moment. Treves explains the invative and unifying features of these painters' work and how, despite resistance to their style and subject matter, many outstanding Caravaggesque pictures found their way into important collections.
- Author BiographyLetizia Treves is curator of Italian and Spanish paintings, 1600-1800, at the National Gallery, London.
- Author(s)Letizia Treves
- PublisherNational Gallery Company Ltd
- Date of Publication04/10/2016
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintNational Gallery Company Ltd
- Content Note100 color illus.
- Weight1362 g
- Width229 mm
- Height280 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.