Save on Textbooks
- AU $65.50Trending at AU $75.22
- AU $143.50Trending at AU $152.67
- AU $44.92Trending at AU $56.19
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.58
- AU $20.94Trending at AU $25.80
- AU $20.25Trending at AU $22.04
About this product
- DescriptionWhy on earth did J.W. Redecker, Helge's great-grandfather, emigrate from Germany in 1867 to this last most inhospitable corner of the African continent that was t yet a colony? What motivated her father, H. Staby, to leave Germany in 1929, hoping to find a better life in the same w post-colonial country, South-West Africa? In Beyond Fences, her first book, the author, w a US citizen, searches for her identity as a fourth generation descendant of Redecker. This identity was forged in the crucible of t only the religious and political beliefs of the past century that bear many parallels to the history of the US, but also by the givens of the country's geography and the clashes of different peoples and cultures. Teaching at a mission school where every n-white tribe of South-West Africa was represented in the tumultuous times of the sixties, when the wave for independence washes over sub-Saharan Africa, turns out to be a humanizing experience. Almost forty years later she looks back, discovering t only letters and diaries, but also all the enduring gains and losses of life. One can almost smell the rain in this delightful memoir of growing up in an important but overlooked period in Namibian history. Beyond Fences is more than a tale of coming of age. It provides important insights into the ruptures and frictions in White Namibian society. - Robert J. Gordon, Professor of Anthropology at the Universities of Vermont and the Free State, S.A.
- Author BiographyThis book is the story of coming to terms with cultural differences (German/African/English) in a postcolonial climate. Discovering your own community's social mores via exposure to different ones enabled me to find my own identity. After receiving a BA and STD degrees from the university of CapeTown, teaching in Namibia for 6 years and then changing into therapeutic work I happened to live in Germany (2 1/2 years) UK ten years and the moved to the USA with my family in 1983. Lessons were learned also from traveling widely (India, China, Australia, South America).
- Author(s)Helge Staby Deaton
- PublisherCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Date of Publication08/02/2012
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectRegional History
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCreatespace Independent Publishing Platform
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight349 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.