All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionKenneth Horne is joined by Kenneth Williams, Hugh Paddick, Betty Marsden, Bill Pertwee and Pat Lancaster in the second series of the classic weekly radio show. Between 1958 and 1964, 'Beyond Our Ken' was one of radio's most popular comedy shows, with a regular audience of ten million listeners. A hilarious mix of sketches and music, packed with witty wordplay, comic catchphrases and larger-than-life characters, this fabulous forerunner to 'Round the Horne' remains just as funny today. In these fourteen episodes, written by Eric Merriman and Barry Took, listen to some extraordinary incidents from Kenneth Horne's week and enjoy special 'Hornerama' investigations into the worlds of showbusiness, communications, the film industry, shipping and many more. Say hello to Rodney and Charles, follow roving reporter Cecil Snaith to the depths of the Red Sea and join Felicity and Ambrose as they are shipwrecked on a desert island. Plus, there's a spoof 'Any Questions?' featuring Hankie Flowered, Ricky Livid, Fanny Haddock and Arthur Fallowfield, and musical interludes from The Fraser Hayes Four and Pat Lancaster - so join urbane host Kenneth Horne and friends for more fun, puns, merriment and madcap humour from the much-loved comedy show. Duration: 7 hours approx.
- Author BiographyEric Merriman (1924-2003) was a British radio and television writer, who provided material for numerous comedians including Frankie Howerd, Terry Scott and Morecambe and Wise.He wrote, originally with Barry Took and then solo, the radio series Beyond Our Ken, starring Kenneth Horne. He also was a writer for several Terry Scott vehicles, Scott on... and Happy Ever After. [source: Wikipedia] Barry Took (1928-2002) was born in London. An early career as a stand-up comedian and sketch writer led to his first radio script credit, for Beyond Our Ken. From there he went on to create Round the Horne with Marty Feldman, whilst on television he wrote for series including Bootsie and Snudge and The Army Game. Amongst a variety of later jobs in front of and behind the camera, Took wrote and presented Points of View on BBC1 and also chaired BBC radio's The News Quiz. He wrote a number of books, including The Complete and Utter History of Round the Horne and his autobiography A Point of View. He died in 2002.
- Author(s)Eric Merriman
- PublisherBBC Audio, A Division Of Random House
- Date of Publication07/07/2016
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintBBC Physical Audio
- Weight202 g
- Width138 mm
- Height142 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Read byHugh Paddick,Kenneth Horne,Kenneth Williams
- Contained items statement11 Audio CDs
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time420
- Edition StatementA&M
Save on Audio Books
- AU $21.62Trending at AU $26.34
- AU $89.47Trending at AU $97.74
- AU $16.32Trending at AU $20.62
- AU $30.20Trending at AU $37.70
- AU $27.59Trending at AU $32.50
- AU $21.05Trending at AU $28.97
- AU $21.62Trending at AU $24.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.