All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionReflective practice has moved from the margins to the mainstream of professional education. However, in this process, its radical potential has been subsumed by individualistic, rather than situated, understandings of practice. Presenting critical perspectives that challenge the current paradigm, this book aims to move beyond reflective practice. It proposes new conceptualisations and offers fresh approaches relevant across professions. Contributors include both academics and practitioners concerned with the training and development of professionals. Definitions of reflection (which are often implicit) often focus on the individual's internal thought processes and responsibility for their actions. The individual - what they did/thought/felt - is emphasised with little recognition of context, power dynamics or ideological challenge. This book presents the work of practitioners, educators, academics and researchers who see this as problematic and are moving towards a more critical approach to reflective practice. With an overview from the editors and fourteen chapters considering new conceptualisations, professional perspectives and new practices, Beyond Reflective Practice examines what new forms of professional reflective practice are emerging. It examines in particular the relationships between reflective practitioners and those upon whom they practise. It looks at the ways in which the world of professional work has changed and the ways in which professional practice needs to change to meet the needs of this new world. It will be relevant for those concerned with initial and ongoing professional learning, both in work and in educational contexts.
- Author BiographyHelen Bradbury is Senior Lecturer at the University of Leeds working in both education and health care. Helen worked in the NHS for 20 years as a hospital pharmacist before commencing her academic career. Nick Frost is Professor of Social Work (children, childhood and families) at the Faculty of Health, Leeds Metropolitan University. Nick has published widely in the field of child and family social work, and worked for 15 years in local authority social work before he commenced his academic career. Sue Kilminster is Principal Research Fellow in the Medical Education Unit at the University of Leeds. She has worked in vocational and professional education and research for over 20 years and was previously a nurse. Miriam Zukas is Professor of Adult Education and the Director of the Lifelong Learning Institute at the University of Leeds. She has worked for the past 30 years with adult learners and with those who teach adults.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/07/2009
- SubjectEducation & Teaching
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note1 black & white line drawings
- Weight499 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine14 mm
- Edited byHelen Bradbury,Miriam Zukas,Nick Frost,Sue Kilminster
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.06
- AU $20.15Trending at AU $23.77
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.22
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.12
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $99.23
- AU $30.78Trending at AU $34.76
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $31.93
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.