Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.52Trending at AU $57.15
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $31.94Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.49Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
About this product
- DescriptionOver the twentieth century 35,000 Australians suffered as prisoners of war in conflicts ranging from World War I to Korea. What was the reality of their captivity? Beyond Surrender presents for the first time the diversity of the Australian 'behind-the-wire' experience, dissecting fact from fiction and myth from reality. Beyond Surrender examines the impact that different types of camps, commandants and locations had on surrender, survival, prison life and the prospects of escape. It considers the attitudes of Australian governments to those who had surrendered, the work of relief agencies and the agony of families waiting at home for their husbands, brothers and fathers to be freed. Covering several conflicts and diverse sites of captivity, Beyond Surrender showcases new research from Kate Ariotti, Joan Beaumont, Lachlan Grant, Jeffrey Grey, Karl James, Jennifer Lawless, Peter Monteath, Melanie Oppenheimer, Aaron Pegram, Lucy Robertson, Seumas Spark and Christina Twomey.
- Author BiographyJoan Beaumont is the author of Broken Nation: Australians and the Great War, joint winner of the 2014 Prime Minister's Award for Australian History and the 2014 NSW Premier's Award for Australian History. She has also published on the Thai-Burma railway, and in 2011-13 researched the Hellfire Pass commemorative website for the Department of Veterans Affairs. Lachlan Grant is a historian in the Military History Section of the Australian War Memorial. He has published widely on the Australian experiences of World War II and the Australian prisoner-of-war experience. He recently authored Australian Soldiers in Asia-Pacific in World War II. Aaron Pegram is a historian in the Military History Section at the Australian War Memorial. He is the Memorial's tour leader and historical guide for the Memorial's Western Front battlefield tours, and is completing a PhD thesis on Australian prisoners in Germany during World War I.
- Author(s)Aaron Pegram,Joan Beaumont,Lachlan Grant
- PublisherMelbourne University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/2015
- SubjectMilitary History
- Place of PublicationMelbourne
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- First Published2015
- ImprintAcademic Monographs
- Weight507 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.