All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAristotle defined voice as 'a particular sound made by something with a soul; for thing which does t have a soul has a voice'. Beyond Words encompasses human language outside words, the realm of the sounds of the mouth, controlled and automatic, which bring depth, meaning and confusion in equal measure to our communication as humans. Steven Conr takes in the phantasmal life of excitements, identifications and recoils associated with particular groups of vocal utterances - the guttural, the dental, the fricative and the sibilant - and reveals our beliefs, myths and responses to the growls, stutters, ums and ahs of everyday language and exchange. From the moans, whimpers and sobs of human grief, to the playful linguistic twisting of nsense, Beyond Words probes the fringes and limits of human language, and our definitions and tions of 'voice' and meaning, to challenge our basic assumptions about what it is to communicate and where meaning lies in language. By engaging with the tics, utterances and vocal sounds usually marginalized, trivialized or igred completely in phonetics and linguistics, Beyond Words presents the reader with a startling and fascinating new way to engage with language itself.
- Author BiographySteven Connor is Grace 2 Professor of English at the University of Cambridge, UK, and the author of numerous Reaktion books, including A Philosophy of Sport (2011).
- Author(s)Prof. Steven Connor
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication10/01/2014
- SubjectHistory of Ideas & Popular Philosophy
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Weight440 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine23 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $47.39Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $74.54Trending at AU $75.65
- AU $22.13Trending at AU $22.74
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.58
- AU $31.31Trending at AU $37.07
- AU $17.65Trending at AU $22.78
- AU $37.61Trending at AU $38.34
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.