CURRENTLY SOLD OUT
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.95Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.33
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.77
- AU $92.88Trending at AU $103.09
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.00
- AU $41.65Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $46.32Trending at AU $48.00
About this product
- DescriptionIs gender really as straightforward as we would all like to think? What is it that makes anyone a man or woman? A female athlete is the subject of international controversy surrounding her right to compete as a woman; a pre-pubescent girl demands medical treatment to prevent the onset of female puberty; a school-age boy lives his life as a girl with his parent's support. Questions about gender and identity are confusing and often generate controversy. More and more, stories about children identifying as the opposite sex, and parents allowing them to live their lives as the alternate, or even undergo medical interventions to prevent development as one gender or the other, raise questions about ethics, values, and science. Beyond X and Y looks at the science of gender identity and offers the personal stories of some of those affected by these questions. Leading us on a journey from chromosomes through evolutionary psychology and what makes us who we are, Jane McCredie includes stories of people from all walks of life and explores the science that is helping us answer these questions. She shows that we are far from opposite sexes and challenges everything you thought you knew about men and women.
- Author BiographyJane McCredie is an award-winning writer on science and medicine. The former news and features editor for leading medical publication, Australian Doctor, she has also worked as a journalist on the Melbourne Age and has contributed to media outlets including the Australian, the British Medical Journal, ABC Health and ABC Science.
- Author(s)Jane McCredie
- PublisherRowman & Littlefield
- Date of Publication11/09/2012
- SubjectPopular Culture & Media: General Interest
- Place of PublicationLanham, MD
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRowman & Littlefield Publishers
- Weight404 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine17 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.