All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOn the White Ravens' Outstanding New International Books for Children and Young Adults list, 2008 ForeWord Magazine's Book of the Year Awards Bronze Medal Winner (YA Fiction category), 2007 Sw Willow Award minee, 2008 CCBC's Best Books for Kids & Teens, 2008 Two bestselling authors join forces to write a powerful vel about racism. A student arrested on suspicions of terrorism. A high school torn apart by racism. Two boys from two different sets of circumstances forced to choose sides. These are the issues at the heart of Bifocal, a groundbreaking new vel for young-adults. The story is told from two different points of view. Haroon is a serious student devoted to his family. His grandparents emigrated from Afghanistan. Jay is a football star devoted to his team. He is white. One day their high school is put on lockdown, and the police arrest a Muslim student on suspicion of terrorist affiliations. He might be guilty. Or is he singled out because of his race? The entire student body fragments along racial lines and both Haroon and Jay find that their differences initially put them at odds. The Muslim students become targets and a smoke-bomb is set off near their lockers while Jay and his teammates believe they've been set-up to look like racists. Bifocal is, by stretch, an easy book. Award-winning authors Deborah Ellis and Eric Walters deliver a serious, hard-hitting book about racism that does t talk down to young people.
- Author BiographyDeborah Ellis was born in Northern Ontario but grew up farther south, in Paris, Ontario. Like many writers she was a creative loner as a child, at odds with formal education in her youth, and a voracious reader. As an adult, she has been occupied with many issues of interest to women, such as peace, education and equality in society at home and abroad. She works at a group home for women in Toronto reading and writing in her spare time. In 2006 Deborah was named to the Order of Ontario.Eric Walters is one of Canada's most successful writers and prolific writers for teenagers. His novel Shattered recently won the 2007 National Chapter of Canada IODE Violet Downey Award and the 2007 White Pine Award. A former teacher, Eric visits classrooms across the country and he has already spoken to more than 750,000 students.
- Author(s)Deborah Ellis,Eric Walters
- PublisherFitzhenry & Whiteside
- Date of Publication01/10/2007
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFitzhenry & Whiteside
- Weight431 g
- Width154 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine27 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $17.00Trending at AU $18.75
- AU $12.13Trending at AU $18.49
- AU $14.96Trending at AU $23.26
- AU $9.34Trending at AU $15.64
- AU $10.36Trending at AU $14.56
- AU $10.15Trending at AU $11.84
- AU $20.68Trending at AU $23.69
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.