All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.88Trending at AU $23.68
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $73.52
- AU $32.89Trending at AU $36.89
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.32
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.67
- AU $44.12Trending at AU $51.80
- AU $41.91Trending at AU $52.43
About this product
- DescriptionA passion for politics and for political power is at the core of this biography of Big Jim Folsom, the legendary two-term Alabama goverr who revolutionized state government by going directly to the branchheads, the grassroots, to exhort the powerless to fight for their rights against the Big Mules, the elite cotton planters and urban industrialists.Drawing on hundreds of hours of interviews with Folsom, his family and friends, and his allies and rivals, Carl Grafton and Anne Permaloff reveal in Big Mules and Branchheads the complex reality behind the stories and myths that have arisen around the Alabama goverr. Often dismissed as a naive yet somehow appealing yokel whose rise to power was largely attributable to luck, Folsom is seen here as a highly kwledgeable and creative political strategist who calculated his most important victories even while his behavior often seemed influenced by incence and a tendency toward buffoonery. His two terms as goverr were marked by scandal, yet Folsom energetically sought to raise the moral level of Alabama politics by bluntly advocating, in the face of great opposition, the expansion of civil rights for blacks, poor whites, and women.Folsom, the authors suggest, is as widely misunderstood in Alabama as Alabama is misunderstood throughout the nation. Illuminating the intricacies of Alabama's politics as it traces Folsom's rise to power, this book gives readers the unique opportunity to kw the legendary Folsom as a flawed, yet often inspiring human being who energetically practiced his own colorful brand of politics.
- Author BiographyCarl Grafton and Anne Permaloff are professors emeriti of political science and public administration at Auburn University at Montgomery. They are the authors of Political Power in Alabama and Big Mules and Branchheads (both Georgia).
- Author(s)Anne Permaloff,Carl Grafton
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication15/09/2008
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight494 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine19 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.