All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBill Culbert is one of New Zealand's most celebrated artists. In Bill Culbert: Making Light Work, the first substantial book on Culbert, Ian Wedde explores the ideas, materials, and conditions that have formed Culbert's art over the past 50 years. Bill Culbert grew up in Port Chalmers and Wellington, but since 1961 has lived largely in France and England (although he returns regularly to New Zealand to exhibit work during the oyster and whitebait seasons). Light has preoccupied Culbert since his days as a student at London's Royal College of Art in the late 1950s. He has used it in domestic-scaled works, in dazzling large-scale museum installations and in public spaces such as the Champs Elysees in Paris and the Millennium Dome in London. Ian Wedde suggests in Bill Culbert that energy and travel, congeniality and conviviality are also key to understanding of Culbert's immensely attractive but conceptually rigorous work, from his wall-mounted light sculptures made of cool, white fluorescent tubes and coloured plastic containers, his installations of objects from the local dump, his battered suitcases, wheels, light bulbs, bottles and wine glasses pouring light. Culbert is also generous artist, ackwledging the importance of collaborators, locations, 'situations at a moment in time', the wider culture - and viewers. Thoughtful, compelling and extensively illustrated, Bill Culbert: Making Light Work is an assured participant in this conversation and readers will relish the opportunity to share in it.
- Author BiographyIan Wedde is a distinguished New Zealand writer, editor, curator and critic. An Arts Foundation of New Zealand Laureate, he is a former head of art and visual culture and of humanities at Te Papa Tongarewa The Museum of New Zealand and has won national book awards for his art books, poetry and fiction. He has been the Robert Burns, Meridian Energy Katherine Mansfield and VUW Writing Fellow and has held the Writers' Bursary, the Scholarship in Letters (twice), and a Fulbright Travel Award. He was made a Distinguished Alumnus of The University of Auckland in 2007.
- Author(s)Ian Wedde
- PublisherAuckland University Press
- Date of Publication01/01/2009
- SubjectIndividual Artists / Art Monographs
- Place of PublicationAuckland
- Country of PublicationNew Zealand
- ImprintAuckland University Press
- Content Note400+ colour illustrations
- Weight1500 g
- Width200 mm
- Height240 mm
- Spine260 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $32.75Trending at AU $55.58
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $96.28
- AU $39.56Trending at AU $42.72
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.