All listings for this product
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $7.43Trending at AU $12.05
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.11
- AU $11.92Trending at AU $16.07
- AU $19.18Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $20.39Trending at AU $30.97
- AU $19.94Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.43Trending at AU $23.45
About this product
- DescriptionHonestly strange and strangely honest. . . . Remarkably compelling and powerful. Weaver's authenticity of characters, situations, and bygone eras emanates from sheer originality of style. This amazing vel is a stellar achievement--gritty, funny, fresh, and bold. It will make your eyes bug out and your pulse race. And how it shines, shines with humanity! --Sena Jeter Naslund, author of Ahab's Wife Southern Gothic to the core, suffused with a humor as dark as the bottom of a Georgia well. . . .Weaver has stepped forward for the benefit of anyone who reads American fiction. --Kirby Gann, author of Our Napoleon in Rags Savagely funny, wildly ambitious. . . . A bawdy, brutal, and beautiful meditation on identity, sex, and mercy. Weaver has a fiercely distinctive vision. --K.L. Cook, author of The Girl from Charnelle Darkly comic, deeply poignant. . . . Billie Girl is the adventurer through a long, strange trip that is life itself. --Roy Hoffman, author of Chicken Dreaming Corn Abandoned as in infant because of her incessant crying, Billie Girl is raised by two women who are brothers. Her life, a gender-bending puzzle filled with dark humor, is a series of encounters with strangers who struggle along with what they are given: a bigamist husband, a long-lost daughter named after a car, a lesbian preacher's wife, a platonic second husband who loved her adoptive father. Twin themes of sexuality and euthanasia run throughout. In a journey from hard-dirt Georgia farm to end-of-life nursing home, Billie Girl comes to understand the mercy of killing.
- Author BiographyVickie Weaver: Vickie Weaver is a 2006 Pushcart Prize Nominee. Her unpublished collection Below the Heart was a semi-finalist in the Mary McCarthy Prize in Short Fiction in 2008, and placed in the top ten of The Parthenon Prize 2007. Her short stories have appeared in Timber Creek Review, Roanoke Review, Alligator Juniper, and the anthology Women.Period. Weaver, who attended college in her mid-40s, settled into the writing life after earning an MFA from Spalding University in Louisville, Kentucky. She teaches at Indiana University East.
- Author(s)Vickie Weaver
- PublisherLeapfrog Press
- Date of Publication31/08/2010
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitleLeaplit
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintLeapfrog Press
- Weight363 g
- Width150 mm
- Height226 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.