All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $33.15Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $30.21Trending at AU $34.60
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.13Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $20.74Trending at AU $23.42
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
About this product
- DescriptionThe Dictionary contains 135 biographical-critical essays on contemporary Catholic American poets, dramatists, and fiction writers. Not since Hoehn's Catholic Authors: Contemporary Biographical Sketches, 1930-1947 has such an inventory of Catholic American writers appeared. The Works By bibliographies contain all of each author's productions be they fiction, poetry, drama or n-fiction. The Works About bibliographies to each essay cite five critical studies or, where ne exists, book reviews, plus references to other biographical sources. The Introduction explores the diversity of belief in contemporary Catholic expression. An essay by Professor Genaro Padilla examines the place of Catholicism in the work of Hispanic writers in the United States today. A partial list of the authors contained here reads like a Who's Who of American literary luminaries and includes such writers as John Gregory Dunne, Mary Gordon, Flannery O'Conr, Walker Percy, Don Delillo, Robert Stone, and Maureen Howard. As a resource for further research on the authors contained, for continued reflection on the various forms of contemporary Catholic American writing, and for renewed scholarly interest in many excellent and often-neglected literary texts, the Biographical Dictionary of Contemporary Catholic American Writing deserves a place in most academic and public libraries. Generalists and English teachers and majors will find its perusal fascinating and rewarding.
- Author BiographyDANIEL J. TYNAN is Professor of English at Colorado College in Colorado Springs. Born and raised in New York City, he received his B.A. from Fordham University and his Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin. He has written about Mary Gordon and John Gregory Dunne, among others.
- Author(s)Daniel J. Tynan
- Date of Publication05/09/1989
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Place of PublicationWestport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintGreenwood Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight691 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Format DetailsLaminated cover
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.