All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.76Trending at AU $7.42
- AU $27.81Trending at AU $30.93
- AU $19.24Trending at AU $26.96
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $32.03
- AU $71.17Trending at AU $80.38
- AU $13.99Trending at AU $15.78
- AU $25.16Trending at AU $27.13
About this product
- DescriptionFrom the velocipede era to today's high-tech bikes, dive into the history of the bicycle.Former Olympic cycling gold medalist and world record holder Chris Boardman is among the most influential bicycle designers in the world. In Biography of the Bike, he examines the evolution of the modern bicycle from the invention of pedals to recent invations in electronic gearing. The complete stories of each development (such as the modern derailleur) that have helped to move bike design forward, and how those inventions became established in the general marketplace, are laid out in all their fascinating detail. Complete with profiles of the riders and designers who have been at the forefront of bicycle design over the decades, the book also examines cultural trends, such as bicycle commuting and mountain biking, that have spurred advances in design.Early efforts at aerodynamic design, the standardization of the double-diamond frame, and the introduction of disc wheels, allow you to see the entire history of your favorite two-wheeled transport. Heavily illustrated with photos of bikes, equipment close-ups, and historical action shots of famous cyclists such as Greg Lemond, Jan Ullrich, and Fausto Coppi make this a book that biking enthusiast, gearhead, or racing fan will want to miss!
- Author BiographyChris Boardman is a leading bicycle designer and the Chairman and Design Director of Boardman Bikes, a subsidiary of Halfords. An Olympic gold medalist, he set three world cycling records and multiple British records and has worn the yellow three times in the Tour de France. A tireless bicycling advocate, he has been awarded an MBE for services to the sport. His nickname, The Professor, comes from his technical know-how and meticulous attention to detail. Chris has been associated with cutting-edge design since riding his famously radical Lotus bicycle to a gold medal in the 1992 Olympics.Chris Sidwells is a cycling journalist and the author of more than 20 books on the subject, including My Complete Bike Book (DK, 2003), which was translated into 24 languages, and the Bike Repair Manual (DK, 2004), now in its fifth edition. He is a regular columnist for Cycle Sport and Cycling Weekly, and also contributes to Bicycling, Men's Fitness, GQ, and other magazines.Eddy Merckx, the Belgian former world champion, has been described by Velo as the most accomplished rider that cycling has ever known, and by VeloNews as the greatest cyclist of all time. Winner of three World Championships and five victories each in the Tour de France and the Giro d'Italia, Merckx today is the owner of Merckx Cycles, which specializes in the design and manufacture of top-end competition bikes.
- Author(s)Chris Boardman
- PublisherVoyageur Press (MN)
- Date of Publication22/06/2015
- SubjectRoad & Motor Vehicles: General Interest
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintVoyageur Press (MN)
- Weight1225 g
- Width219 mm
- Height254 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Photographer(s)Chris Sidwells
- Foreword byEddy Merckx
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.