All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $3.82Trending at AU $7.34
- AU $63.09Trending at AU $76.70
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.53Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.84Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $17.56Trending at AU $22.92
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
About this product
- DescriptionTaking a unique materials science approach, this text introduces students to the basic concepts and applications of materials and biomedical engineering and prepares them for the challenges of the new interdisciplinary field of biomaterials science. Split into three sections - Basic Biology Principles, Biological Materials, and Bioinspired Materials and Biomimetics - it presents biological materials along with the structural and functional classification of biopolymers, bioelastomers, foams, and ceramic composites. More traditional biomimetic designs such as Velcro are then discussed in conjunction with new developments that mimic the structure of biological materials at the molecular level, mixing nascale with biomolecular designs. Bioinspired design of materials and structures is also covered. Focused presentations of biomaterials are presented throughout the text in succinct boxes, emphasising biomedical applications, whilst the basic principles of biology are explained, so prior kwledge is required. The topics are supported by approximately 500 illustrations, solved problems, and end-of-chapter exercises.
- Author BiographyMarc Andre Meyers, Distinguished Professor at the University of California, San Diego, is the author or co-author of three other books and approximately 400 papers. The recipient of important awards from Europe (Humboldt Senior Scientist Award and J. S. Rinehart Award), China (Lee Hsun Lecture Award; Visiting Professor, Chinese Academy of Sciences) and the US (Acta Materialia Materials and Society Award, TMS Educator Award, SMD/TMS Distinguished Scientist and Distinguished Service Awards, ASM Albert Sauveur Award, ASM Albert Easton White Award), he is a fellow of TMS, APS and ASM, and a member of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences. He is also the author of three fiction novels. Po-Yu Chen, Assistant Professor of the Materials Science and Engineering Department at National Tsing Hua University, Taiwan, is a graduate of the University of California, San Diego. His current research is in the fields of biological (natural) materials, bio-inspired/biomimetic materials, biomedical materials, and green and energy-related materials. He is the author and co-author of several highly-cited review articles in biological and bio-inspired materials. A member of the TMS Biomaterials Committee, he organized several bio-related symposiums and workshops in international conferences. He is the recipient of Materials Science and Engineering C Young Researcher Award and ASME Emerging Researchers in Biomedical Engineering in 2011 and received the Distinguished Young Researcher Career Award from Taiwan National Science Council.
- Author(s)Marc Andre Meyers,Po-Yu Chen
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication31/07/2014
- SubjectEngineering & Technology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note472 b/w illus. 10 tables 150 exercises
- Weight1540 g
- Width189 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine34 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.