All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $60.69Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
About this product
- DescriptionThere is a startling amount of research activity concerning the role of sialic acid in mammalian cells and in the mammalian organism. One may discern in the early literature premonitions of compounds containing sialic acid, traceable by descriptions of color reactions, as far back as the turn of the century. Work spanning the 1930s to the 1950s culmi- nated in the crystallization of sialic acid from a wide variety of biological materials. The ubiquitous nature of the sialic acids, and the biological importance of the substances in which they occur, then became generally manifest. Since then, the chemistry and metabolism of sialic acid and its occurrence, tably, but t exclusively, in the outer cell surfaces of mammalian cells and in key extracellular glycoproteins, have received great attention. The involvement of sialic acid-containing substances in tumorigenicity and in numerous metabolic and infectious pathological conditions, and in the growth, development, and integrity of mammalian cells has achieved widespread recognition. Intensive inquiry into the biological roles of sialic acid continues in a large number of research laboratories throughout the world. This book is intended to represent for the uninitiated as well as for the expert a wide and detailed overview of the current state of kwledge. Major efforts and pioneering break- throughs have emerged from several laboratories, located on both sides of the Atlantic, of which we make special individual mention here since they will to some extent appear in the pages that follow.
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication02/04/2012
- SubjectLife Sciences: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Note6 black & white illustrations, biography
- Weight578 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byAbraham Rosenberg
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1976
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.