All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIn the new edition of BIOLOGY: CONCEPTS AND APPLICATIONS, authors Cecie Starr, Christine A. Evers, and Lisa Starr have partnered with the National Geographic Society to develop a text designed to engage and inspire. This trendsetting text introduces the key concepts of biology to n-biology majors using clear explanations and unparalleled visuals. While mastering core concepts, each chapter challenges students to question what they read and apply the concepts learned, providing students with the critical thinking skills and science kwledge they need in life. Rewned for its writing style the new edition is enhanced with exclusive content from the National Geographic Society, including over 200 new photos and illustrations. New People Matter sections in most chapters profile National Geographic Explorers and Grantees who are making significant contributions in their field, showing students how concepts in the chapter are being applied in biological research. Each chapter concludes with an 'Application' section highlighting real-world uses of biology and helping students make connections to chapter content.
- Author BiographyLisa Starr earned her B.A. in Chemistry/Biochemistry from the University of California at San Diego Revelle College in 1982. Over the next five years, she became expert in molecular and cell biology as she helped build a veterinary virology research program at the startup biotech firm Syntro (which was later spun off into Protein Polymer Technologies). During this time, Lisa invented the cDNA cloning kit and the mRNA isolation kit that launched Invitrogen (now part of Life Technologies). She left Syntro to launch a molecular biology division for a veterinary vaccine company (Synbiotics, later acquired by Pfizer Animal Health), and then spent seven years at The Scripps Research Institute investigating integrin isoform expression in development and cancer metastasis and training postdoctoral candidates. She was recruited to start up the biotech firm Ixsys/Applied Molecular Evolution (later acquired by Lilly) and to establish proof-of-concept for combinatorial library construction as well as antibody randomization/humanization at the fledgling firm. Prior to joining the Starr franchise, she was recruited to start up Desmos, another biotech firm, that was later spun off into Cythera/Novocell/ViaCyte. Since 1997, Lisa has been responsible for the incredible art in the Starr biology textbooks, and began authoring the books in 2004. For the past two decades, Cecie Starr has been known as one of the best-selling biology textbook authors. Her texts, appreciated for their clarity in both the written word and the visual representation of biological concepts, include multiple editions of BIOLOGY: THE UNITY AND DIVERSITY OF LIFE, BIOLOGY: CONCEPTS AND APPLICATIONS, and BIOLOGY TODAY AND TOMORROW. Her original dream was to become an architect. Instead of building houses, she now builds, with care and attention to detail, incredible texts based on this philosophy: I invite students into a chapter through an intriguing story. Once inside, they get the great windows that biologists construct on the world of life. Biology is not just another house. It is a conceptual mansion. I hope to do it justice. Christine Evers has been creating multimedia and Web-based materials to supplement Starr and other science texts for ten years. She earned her B.S. in Biology from SUNY Stony Brook. After working as a research assistant studying the developmental biology of slime mold, she was awarded an N.S.F. fellowship to attend Yale, where she studied evolutionary biology and honeybee behavior. She has a strong interest in science education and serves as a member of her local school board.
- Author(s)Cecie Starr,Christine A. Evers,Lisa Starr
- PublisherCengage Learning, Inc
- Date of Publication13/01/2014
- SubjectScience & Mathematics: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationCA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1950 g
- Width233 mm
- Height275 mm
- Spine32 mm
- Edition Statement9th Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $20.46Trending at AU $26.08
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $20.02Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.18
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.