All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $30.81
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.80
- AU $44.48Trending at AU $52.87
- AU $34.28Trending at AU $38.66
- AU $26.88Trending at AU $29.34
- AU $44.27Trending at AU $52.85
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.19
About this product
- DescriptionBiomaterials for Surgical Operation offers a review of the latest advances made in developing bioabsorbable devices for surgical operations which include surgical adhesives (sealants), barriers for the prevention of tissue adhesion, polymers for fractured bone fixation, growth factors for the promotion of wound healing, and sutures. Over the years, many descriptions of biomaterials have appeared in academic journals and books, but most of them have been devoted to limited clinical areas. This is in marked contrast with this volume which covers a wide range of bioabsorbable devices used in surgery from a practical point of view. The currently applied polymeric devices are critical in surgery, but all involve serious problems due to their poor performance. For instance, fibrin glue, the most widely used surgical sealant, can produce only a weak gel with low adhesive strength to tissues, accentuating the limited effectiveness of current treatment options. Likewise, the currently available barrier membranes cant fully prevent tissue adhesion at the acceptable level and are, moreover, t easy to handle with endoscopes due to their poor mechanical properties. Biomaterials for Surgical Operation is aimed at those who are interested in expanding their kwledge of how the problems associated with the currently used devices for surgical operation can be solved. It primarily focuses on the absorbable biomaterials which are the main components of these medical devices.
- Author BiographyShuko Suzuki obtained PhD degree in polymer chemistry from Queensland University of Technology, Australia. After JSPS fellowship at Nara Medical University, she joined GUNZE Ltd., Japan, and is currently working as research fellow at Nara Medical University. Yoshito Ikada has over forty year's experience as a professor at a number of universities in Japan and China in the field of biomedicine. Currently at Nara Medical University and he is also Emeritus Professor at Kyoto University and Guest Professor at Peking University. He has received the Prize of Japanese Society for Biomaterials and was President of the Japanese Society for Biomaterials for four years. He was also Chairman of National project, Tissue Engineering by Japan Society for the Promotion of Science. He authored Tissue Engineering: Fundamentals and Applications (Academic Press, 2006).
- Author(s)Shuko Suzuki,Yoshito Ikada
- PublisherHumana Press Inc.
- Date of Publication03/03/2014
- SubjectMechanical Engineering
- Place of PublicationTotowa, NJ
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHumana Press Inc.
- Content Note47 black & white tables, biography
- Weight349 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine15 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.