All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionHistorical folklore indicates that Asldepios (circa 900 BC), the fIrst western doctor of ancient Greece, treated many patients with rheumatic diseases of 1 joints ,2. Later, Hippocrates (circa 400 BC), who claimed to have learned from Asklepios, used the term arthritis in reference to joint diseases: When the disease of arthritis strikes, acute inflammation and pain attacks the joints of the body ... . Indeed, arthritic joint disease dates much farther back into antiquity than Asklepios. Many modern anthropologists have ted degenerative joint disease in the fossils of Neanderthal man (archanthropus europeus petraloniensis) and even in those of disaurs. More recent scientific studies on joints date back to the work of the great English anatomist Hunter who wrote The Structure and Diseases of Articular Cartilage in the Philosophical Transactions of London in 1743. The tion that osteoarthritis results from the wearing away of cartilage was copiously documented by the histological observations of the German physician Ecker in 1843. This idea was further supported by Pommer (1927) who felt that mechanical stresses played important roles in the initiation and propagation of cartilage lesions leading to osteoarthritis. This same conclusion was reached by the assembled distinguished experts at a National Institutes of Health Workshop 3 held in 1986 .
- PublisherSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Date of Publication10/10/2011
- SubjectSurgery: Professional
- Place of PublicationNew York, NY
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSpringer-Verlag New York Inc.
- Content Notebiography
- Weight732 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Edited byAnthony Ratcliffe,Savio L.-Y. Woo,Van C. Mow
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementSoftcover reprint of the original 1st ed. 1990
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.