All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe work of Bion of Smyrna, the late Hellenistic writer of bucolic poetry, survives in seventeen fragments and the longer Epitaph on Adonis. In this edition, J. D. Reed presents a Greek text of the poems together with a facing translation. The substantial introduction covers Bion's place in the bucolic tradition, his reinterpretation of ritual and myth in the Adonis poem (with attention to its social context), and various aspects of his style. It also includes a detailed examination of the textual transmission. The commentary investigates fully details arising from the texts, with an emphasis on linguistic and literary-historical issues. This is a comprehensive treatment of Bion, his poetry and his place in the literary tradition.
- PublisherCambridge University Press
- Date of Publication23/04/2007
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCambridge Classical Texts and Commentaries
- Series Part/Volume NumberNo. 33
- Place of PublicationCambridge
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintCambridge University Press
- Content Note1 b/w illus.
- Weight366 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine12 mm
- Edited byJ. D. Reed
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $53.34Trending at AU $59.06
- AU $28.48Trending at AU $29.55
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.