Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.35Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
About this product
- DescriptionMicroalgae are an invaluable biomass source with potential uses that could lead to environmental and ecomic benefits for society. Biotechlogical Applications of Microalgae: Biodiesel and Value Added Products presents the latest developments and recent research trends with a focus on potential biotechlogically related uses of microalgae. It gives an analysis of microalgal biology, ecology, biotechlogy, and biofuel production capacity as well as a thorough discussion on the value added products that can be generated from diverse microalgae. The book provides a detailed discussion of microalgal strain selection for biodiesel production, a key factor in successful microalgal cultivation and generation of desired biofuel products. It also describes microalagal enumeration methods, harvesting and dewatering techniques, and the design, and the pros and cons, of the two most common methods for cultivation-open raceway ponds and photobioreactors. Chapters cover lipid extraction and identification, chemical and biological methods for transesterification of microalgal lipids, and procedures involved in life cycle analysis of microalgae. They also examine the importance of microalgal cultivation for climate change abatement through CO2 sequestration and microalgae involvement in phycoremediation of domestic and industrial wastewaters. The book concludes with a general discussion of microalgal biotechlogy and its potential as a modern green gold rush. The final chapter provides an overview of advanced techniques such as genetic engineering of microalgae to increase lipid yield. This book provides a one-stop benchmark reference on microalgal biotechlogy, considering all aspects, from microalgal screening to production of biofuels and other value added products.
- Author BiographyProfessor Faizal Bux serves as director at the Institute for Water and Wastewater Technology at the Durban University of Technology. He has 17 years of experience in the fields of water and wastewater treatment, bioremediation and biotransformation of industrial effluents for the production of valuable by-products, and biotechnological applications of microalgae including biodiesel. Professor Bux serves on the Management Committee of the International Water Association (IWA) specialist group, Microbial Ecology and Water Engineering. He also serves as a scientific advisor for various NGOs, both in South Africa and internationally, especially with regard to water quality issues.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Inc
- Date of Publication24/05/2013
- SubjectEngineering & Technology: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationBosa Roca
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCRC Press Inc
- Content Note22 black & white illustrations, 40 black & white tables
- Weight521 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine19 mm
- Edited byFaizel Bux
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.