All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn extraordinary story of war and friendship from one of America's most revered authors of the 20th Century. Two teenagers form an unlikely friendship in pre-War Philadelphia. Al is obsessed with lifting weights, looking good and chasing girls. Birdy is obsessed with flight. Birdy's passion becomes all-encompassing. Birdy wants to fly. A few years later these young men find themselves emotionally and physically scarred by Word War Two. Al is called to an army psychiatric hospital to help the doctors there treat his friend, who he finds squatting on the floor of his cell and acting like a bird. This haunting and brilliant vel has electrified readers the world over. It has truly become a modern classic. In 1984, Birdy was turned into an award-winning movie directed by Alan Parker and starring Nicholas Cage and Matthew Modine.
- Author BiographyWilliam Wharton was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1925. During the Second World War, Wharton served in the US army, until an injury led to his discharge. In 1978, Wharton's first novel, 'Birdy', was published to critical acclaim. Before his death in 2008, Wharton penned 8 further novels, and 3 memoirs. The most recent memoir, 'Shrapnel', was published for the first time in English in 2012.
- Author(s)William Wharton
- PublisherHarperCollins Publishers
- Date of Publication02/08/2012
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Friday Project Limited
- Weight220 g
- Width130 mm
- Height197 mm
- Spine22 mm
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,B-format paperback
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $24.35Trending at AU $30.79
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.46
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $22.93
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.05
- AU $13.16Trending at AU $13.71
- AU $27.95Trending at AU $29.44
- AU $12.36Trending at AU $14.10
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.