All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAlthough its first inhabitants were medieval monks, Birkenhead began to grow during the nineteenth century because of its links with Liverpool. Later, trade from all over the world began to flow through the docks and the town became a centre for shipbuilding, the first iron-built ship bought for the British government having been made there. But Birkenhead has ather side; it had the first street tramway in Europe, while the town's park influenced Central Park in New York.In Birkenhead Through Time, Ian Collard uses a wonderful collection of photographs to take us through the town's history. These illustrate the docks, the famous park and William Lever's Port Sunlight works, as well as shops, schools, churches, houses and street scenes of the local community, while the introduction gives an overview of Birkenhead's history. Birkenhead Through Time is a rich record of the development and regeneration of Birkenhead.
- Author BiographyIan Collard a well-known local author and has written many books on ocean liners and cargo ships, particularly those sailing out of Liverpool. Acknowledged as one of the local experts, he has even appeared on radio to tell of his times as an author. He lives in the Wirral, within sight and sound of the Mersey.
- Author(s)Ian Collard
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication10/05/2012
- SubjectLocal History, Names & Genealogy
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note180
- Width165 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine9 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.28
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $48.86
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $21.21
- AU $25.01Trending at AU $27.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.