All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionBirmingham's Front Line offers a fascinating and unique insight into police culture and the problems faced by those on the thin blue line during a tumultuous time in Britain's second city. Containing first-hand accounts of robberies, rapes and murders from both the author and some of his former colleagues, these true stories will shock and stun as the author reveals the tools and tactics used to combat the violence, bribery and general disregard of law and order encountered every day as the police fought to bring these criminals to justice. Covering the period from 1976 to 1988, Birmingham city centre represented a microcosm of criminal activity throughout the United Kingdom in this period - at one end of the spectrum, hardened armed robbers out to make a fast and brutal buck; at the other, the punks, bikers and skinheads just looking for the cheap thrill of mindless violence. Hooliganism was rife, and the torious Zulu Warriors were always sure to make their presence felt. Relationships with informants are described, and the author gives an inside view of the world of criminal intelligence, as well as explaining how, with much strife, police and criminals learnt to co-exist in the Midlands.
- Author BiographyMichael Layton reached the rank of Chief Superintendent before serving with the Sovereign Bases Police in Cyprus, eventually returning to the British Transport Police. He was awarded the Queens Police Medal for distinguished police service. He has written several books on the subject of policing the rail network and football violence.
- Author(s)Michael Layton
- PublisherAmberley Publishing
- Date of Publication14/07/2016
- SubjectTrue Crime
- Place of PublicationChalford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintAmberley Publishing
- Content Note16
- Weight318 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
Most relevant reviews
- 2014hammerhead20 Oct, 2016by
I would rather watch paint dry, not at all detailed too factual to the point of bordom.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.29
- AU $32.44Trending at AU $38.14
- AU $45.07Trending at AU $52.06
- AU $33.00Trending at AU $35.68
- AU $21.88Trending at AU $34.44
- AU $30.12Trending at AU $32.49
- AU $20.37Trending at AU $22.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.