Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $37.99Trending at AU $75.20
- AU $65.90Trending at AU $72.08
- AU $64.90Trending at AU $71.02
- AU $100.89Trending at AU $103.83
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.26
- AU $57.95Trending at AU $58.87
- AU $99.99Trending at AU $112.98
About this product
- DescriptionCanada is rife with the weird, wacky and off-the-wall from sea to shining sea: * Besides Canada, a slew of strange names were seriously considered prior to Confederation -- New Britannia, Laurentia, Ursalia, Vesporia, Cabotia, Niagarentia -- but the most bizarre of all, Efisga * The outspoken Hockey Night in Canada commentator earned the nickname Hot Lips Don Cherry when he kissed NHLer Doug Gilmour during the playoffs * When Alberta's first provincial legislature needed an official mace in a hurry, they made one out of plumbing pipe, shaving mug handles and a toilet tank float, and then painted the whole thing gold * In 1903, car licence plates in Ontario were made of patent leather * Each year, the Pumpkin Festival in Windsor-Hants, Nova Scotia, includes a weigh-off and a Pumpkin Regatta, where dozens of pumpkin boats compete in a 500-metre race * Canadian sw apparently is very cool in Puerto Rico: the white stuff has been shipped 3200 miles south on three separate occasions over the past decade and was kept frosty in large refrigerated containers. * You'll find these and many more strange and wonderful tales between the covers of BIZARRE CANADA!
- Author BiographyJoanna Emery is the author of many books for young readers, including Melville Smellville, Brothers of the Falls, and Caring for a Colony. Her work has also appeared in several magazines and anthologies including The Canadian Writer's Guide, 13th Edition and Chicken Soup for the Single Parent's Soul. Joanna is a member of CANSCAIP, IBBY, and the Canadian Children's Book Centre. She lives in the historic town of Dundas, Ontario.
- Author(s)Joanna Emery
- PublisherBlue Bike Books
- Date of Publication10/08/2010
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationEdmonton
- Country of PublicationCanada
- ImprintBlue Bike Books
- Content Noteb/w illus
- Weight288 g
- Width55 mm
- Height209 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.