Bizarre History: Strange Happenings, Stupid Misconceptions, Distorted Facts and Uncommon Events by Joe Rhatigan (Paperback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $11.70+ AU $10.00 postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by roxy*books
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $14.95+ AU $4.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis is history served up high-octane, with all of the fun and ne of the boredom. It's t about memorizing lists of dates or names, or remembering which general won what battle. Instead, BIZARRE HISTORY merrily digs up the scandals, the strangeness, and the scintillating details that illuminate personalities, events, and real life. Think of it t as a textbook, but as history s juicy unauthorized biography--a historical document in which relevance never gets in the way of a good read. There are humorous quotes from famous figures such as Mark Twain and Napoleon ( History is a myth that men agree to believe ), as well as witty commentary about leaders of the past. After all, while you're probably familiar with William the Conquerer, have you heard of Charles the Simple, ruler of France and son of Louis the Stammerer? What about the emperor who entered Rome in a chariot drawn by 50 naked slaves and invented the first whoopee cushion, too? But you can find lots of wildness closer to home: George Washington wrote love letters to a married woman; Old Hickory Andrew Jackson had been in at least seven duels before becoming president; and Benjamin Franklin fathered an illegitimate child. Paraia also plagued a few of our presidents: the only thing Franklin Roosevelt had to fear was the number 13: he wouldn't invite 13 guests to a dinner party or travel on the 13th. And both Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan had encounters with UFOs! The fun facts span the globe, covering the crazy acts of Caligula in the Roman Empire; the Dog Shogun in 17th century Japan; the Pork and Beans war between the US and Canada; and even details about fashion, medicine, sports, and the real Dracula. It's a wild journey that one could resist!
- Author BiographyJoe Rhatigan has authored more than fifteen books for children and adults, including DON'T UNRAVEL WHEN YOU TRAVEL and OUT-OF-THIS-WORLD ASTRONOMY. He has also produced several best-selling books and series, including 101 PLACES YOU GOTTA SEE BEFORE YOU'RE 12!, WHITE HOUSE KIDS, and the My Very Favorite Art Book series. Joe has been a poet, a teacher, a marketing manager, and a newspaper boy. He lives in Asheville, North Carolina with his wife and three children.
- Author(s)Joe Rhatigan
- PublisherCharlesbridge Publishing,U.S.
- Date of Publication02/03/2012
- SubjectChildren's General Non-Fiction
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintImagine Publishing, Inc
- Out-of-print date23/11/2015
- Content NoteBlack and White with Illustrations
- Weight363 g
- Width152 mm
- Height178 mm
- Spine15 mm
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $26.75Trending at AU $27.54
- AU $69.00Trending at AU $71.27
- AU $25.33Trending at AU $28.27
- AU $31.38Trending at AU $33.57
- AU $12.37Trending at AU $13.00
- AU $47.96Trending at AU $49.18
- AU $11.33Trending at AU $13.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.