All listings for this product
Consider these sponsored items
- AU $31.37Free postage
About this product
- DescriptionBlack Elk Speaks, the story of the Oglala Lakota visionary and healer Nicholas Black Elk (1863-1950) and his people during momentous twilight years of the nineteenth century, offers readers much more than a precious glimpse of a vanished time. Black Elk's searing visions of the unity of humanity and Earth, conveyed by John G. Neihardt, have made this book a classic that crosses multiple genres. Whether appreciated as the poignant tale of a Lakota life, as a history of a Native nation, or as an enduring spiritual testament, Black Elk Speaks is unforgettable. Black Elk met the distinguished poet, writer, and critic John G. Neihardt in 1930 on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota and asked Neihardt to share his story with the world. Neihardt understood and conveyed Black Elk's experiences in this powerful and inspirational message for all humankind. This complete edition features a new introduction by historian Philip J. Deloria and antations of Black Elk's story by rewned Lakota scholar Raymond J. DeMallie. Three essays by John G. Neihardt provide background on this landmark work along with pieces by Vine Deloria Jr., Raymond J. DeMallie, Alexis Petri, and Lori Utecht. Maps, original illustrations by Standing Bear, and a set of appendixes rounds out the edition.
- Author BiographyJohn G. Neihardt (1881-1973) is the author of several classics, including A Cycle of the West and Eagle Voice Remembers, both available in Bison Books editions. He was named Nebraska's first poet laureate and foremost poet of the nation by the National Poetry Center in 1936.
- Author(s)John G. Neihardt
- PublisherUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Date of Publication01/03/2014
- SubjectBiography: General
- Place of PublicationLincoln
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Nebraska Press
- Content Note10 photographs, 6 illustrations, 31 color plates, 3 maps
- Weight703 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Introduction byPhilip J. Deloria
- Foreword byVine Deloria
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition StatementComplete Ed
Most relevant reviews
- darryldob29 Dec, 2016by
Speak and Spit.
Good quality, could not put it down, that's a lie, i had to eat some dindin. Greaaaat drawings. The real bruise blood.
Verified purchase: Yes | Condition: New
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $74.23Trending at AU $76.09
- AU $35.55Trending at AU $38.80
- AU $31.87Trending at AU $37.29
- AU $10.39Trending at AU $15.38
- AU $37.63Trending at AU $38.56
- AU $26.33Trending at AU $51.27
- AU $30.79Trending at AU $36.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.