All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionStemming from his anthropological field work among black religious groups in Philadelphia in the early 1940s, Arthur Huff Fauset believed it was possible to determine the likely direction that mainstream black religious leadership would take in the future, a direction that later indeed manifested itself in the civil rights movement. The American black church, according to Fauset and other contemporary researchers, provided the one place where blacks could experiment without hindrance in activities such as business, politics, social reform, and social expression. With detailed primary accounts of these early spiritual movements and their beliefs and practices, Black Gods of the Metropolis reveals the fascinating origins of such significant modern African American religious groups as the Nation of Islam as well as the role of lesser kwn and even forgotten churches in the history of the black community. In her new foreword, historian Barbara Dianne Savage discusses the relationship between black intellectuals and black religion, in particular the relationship between black social scientists and black religious practices during Fauset's time. She then explores the complexities of that relationship and its impact on the intellectual and political history of African American religion in general.
- Author BiographyArthur Huff Fauset (1899-1983) was a civil rights activist, educator, folklorist, and author of several works, including Sojourner Truth, a biography. Barbara Dianne Savage is Associate Professor of History at the University of Pennsylvania. She is author of Broadcasting Freedom: Radio, War, and the Politics of Race, 1938-1948.
- Author(s)Arthur Huff Fauset
- PublisherUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Date of Publication15/12/1970
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationPennsylvania
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Pennsylvania Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight181 g
- Width133 mm
- Height203 mm
- Spine8 mm
- Introduction byJohn F. Szwed
- Foreword byBarbara Dianne Savage
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $72.68
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $98.73
- AU $36.78Trending at AU $37.91
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.33
- AU $33.33Trending at AU $36.03
- AU $25.08Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.84Trending at AU $28.46
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.