All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA new collection of philosophical biographies of key figures in Black Southern American social and political thought Frederick Douglass, Booker Washington and Ida Wells. Thurgood Marshall and Martin King are focused upon, together with Howard Thurman, Richard Wright, Fred Gray and Barbara Jordan. All are important in various ways to the movements this book seeks out. From the perspective of liberation, the two high points in the African-American Odyssey are marked by Emancipation in the nineteenth century and Desegregation in the twentieth. Douglass bestriding the first, King and Marshall the second. The thread of resistance runs through most of these philosophical profiles, and the thread of n-violence, with greater or less force, also runs throughout. This volume assumes a distinction between (a) an earlier period when Afro-America was more cohesive and collectively committed to self-improvement despite the odds, and (b) the contemporary period, beyond desegregation, marked by rates never previously rivaled of suicide, joblessness, imprisonment, despair and alienation, especially among black poor. The life stories and philosophies presented here make fascinating reading. This book is a Special Issue of the leading journal, Critical Review of International Social and Political Philosophy.
- Author BiographyPreston King is Distinguished Professor of Political Philosophy at Morehouse College, Woodruff Professor at Emory University, and Visiting Professor in the Department of Philosophy at The University of East Anglia. Walter Earl Fluker is Coca Cola Professor of Leadership Studies, Professor of Philosophy and Religion, and Director of the Leadership Center at Morehouse College. He has held positions at Harvard, Vanderbilt, and elsewhere.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication24/12/2007
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight385 g
- Width140 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edited byProfessor Preston King,Walter Earl Fluker
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $12.99Trending at AU $19.18
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.53
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.37
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.16
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.69
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.51
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.