All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis collection is the first interdisciplinary volume to examine black women's negotiation of race and gender in African American music. Contributors address black women's activity in musical arenas that pre- and postdate the emergence of the vaudeville blues singers of the 1920s. Throughout, the authors illustrate black women's advocacy of themselves as blacks and as women in music. Feminist? Black feminist? The editors take care to stress that each term warrants interrogation: Black women can and have forged, often, but t always--and t everywhere the same across time--identities that are supple eugh to accommodate a sense of female empowerment through 'musicking' in tandem with their sensitivities to black racial allegiances. Individual essays concern the experiences of black women in classical music and in contemporary blues, the history of black female gospel-inflected voices in the Broadway musical, and hip-hop feminism and its complications. Focusing on under-examined contexts, authors introduce readers to the work of a prominent gospel anuncer, women's music festivals (predominantly lesbian), and to women's involvement in an early avant-garde black music collective. In contradistinction to a compilation of biographies, this volume critically illuminates themes of black authenticity, sexual politics, access, racial uplift through music, and the challenges of writing (black) feminist biography. Black Women and Music is a strong reminder that black women have been and are both social actors and artists contributing to African American thought.
- Author BiographyEileen M. Hayes is an assistant professor of music at the University of North Texas. Linda F. Williams is an independent scholar and jazz saxophonist.
- PublisherUniversity of Illinois Press
- Date of Publication16/03/2007
- SubjectMusic & Dance
- Series TitleAfrican Amer Music in Global Perspective
- Place of PublicationBaltimore
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Illinois Press
- Content Note12 photographs
- Weight449 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine21 mm
- Edited byEileen M. Hayes,Linda F. Williams
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $85.57
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $72.97
- AU $74.00Trending at AU $85.24
- AU $79.95Trending at AU $91.09
- AU $46.37Trending at AU $48.13
- AU $81.00Trending at AU $84.05
- AU $20.00Trending at AU $28.33
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.