All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIf we are to understand the meanings of blackness in the African diaspora and elsewhere, we must critically examine the paradigms that have emerged from Euro-American racism and black liberation over the past five centuries. So argue the editors of these foundational volumes, which add immeasurably to our understanding of black experiences in Central America, South America, and the Caribbean. In their introduction to this extensive collection, the editors discuss historical forces and provide a critical, interpretive theory of structures of domination and processes of liberation in the Black Americas. By dealing with racialist concepts from the dual standpoints of nation-state and ethnic bloc, they clarify many issues of cultural representation and social identity in Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Author BiographyArlene Torres is Assistant Professor of Anthropology. She is affiliated with Afro-American Studies, Latin American and Caribbean Studies and the Latina/Latino Studies Programs at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. She serves on the editorial board of the Afro-Latin American Research Association. Torres has conducted extensive field research in Puerto Rico and Barbados. Norman E. Whitten, Jr. is Professor of Anthropology and Latin American Studies and Affiliate of Afro-American Studies at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. His publications include Black Frontiersmen: Afro-American Culture of Ecuador and Colombia; Sacha Runa: Ethnicity and Adaptation of Ecuadorian Jungle Quichua; Cultural Transformations and Ethnicity in Modern Ecuador; and Sicuanga Runa: The Other Side of Development in Amazonian Ecuador.
- PublisherIndiana University Press
- Date of Publication01/06/1998
- SubjectSociology & Anthropology: Professional
- Place of PublicationBloomington, IN
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintIndiana University Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight771 g
- Width3963 mm
- Height5969 mm
- Spine37 mm
- Edited byArlene Torres,Norman E. Whitten
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.54
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.78
- AU $33.32Trending at AU $36.33
- AU $31.72Trending at AU $33.69
- AU $19.98Trending at AU $22.99
- AU $36.16Trending at AU $49.55
- AU $26.67Trending at AU $29.78
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.