All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA generous selection that shows the poet James Lasdun at his lyrically inventive best Two men grapple with jumper cables, trying to make a stand // in this last corner of our realm; machinery . . . A man on his way to see his therapist encounters a female police officer in an elevator and feels himself regressing to the original essence, the masculine / criminal salt. A teenager is tricked into eating a spoonful of lime pickle by his girlfriend's father. An Englishman in the Catskills ponders the nature of exile, is chased by yellow jackets, gets a haircut. James Lasdun's subjects are often quotidian--but his treatment of them never is. Under his transformative gaze, the familiar becomes strange, the local becomes foreign, and the mir becomes epic. Lasdun has been winning acclaim since his first collection, 1988's A Jump Start --Helen Vendler has lauded his ability to give brisk shape to contemporary and classical events ; The New York Times has praised the sharp, slicing imagery of his work. Now, in Bluestone, which selects from all three of his previous collections and includes poems from his fourth, Water Sessions, previously available only in the U.K., readers will be able to appreciate the full sweep of this capacious talent: his delicate wit, his gift for invention, his keen observational eye. It is a gathering that affirms Lasdun's position as, to quote Anthony Hecht, one of the most gifted, vivid, and deft poets w writing in English.
- Author BiographyJames Lasdun was born in London and now lives in upstate New York. He has published two novels as well as several collections of short stories and poetry. He has been long-listed for the Man Booker Prize and short-listed for the Los Angeles Times, T. S. Eliot, and Forward prizes in poetry, and he was the winner of the inaugural BBC National Short Story Award. His nonfiction has been published in Harper's Magazine, Granta, and the London Review of Books.
- Author(s)James Lasdun
- PublisherFarrar Straus Giroux
- Date of Publication05/05/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintFarrar Straus Giroux
- Weight726 g
- Width137 mm
- Height206 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $34.30Trending at AU $35.14
- AU $14.50Trending at AU $17.20
- AU $8.59Trending at AU $14.01
- AU $21.17Trending at AU $25.58
- AU $72.88Trending at AU $77.86
- AU $91.99Trending at AU $100.05
- AU $30.28Trending at AU $34.60
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.