All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.09
- AU $166.94Trending at AU $170.17
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.55
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.59
- AU $104.89Trending at AU $106.99
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.38
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.54
About this product
- DescriptionSubversive and satirical, inventive, wry and unconventional, John Hartley Williams has long been celebrated for his maverick sensibility, for his outsider's take on the way we live our lives. In Blues, his eighth collection, he focuses with new directness on the turmoil of Germany and Eastern Europe, and writes eloquently about being English, and staying English, in a continental climate, through all the upheavals of the last fifteen years. Alert to the intricacies and ironies of the language, to the musculature of politics and passion, these poems are chronicles of change, wired to the energies of jazz and science fiction, yet the under-song is a thredy for the loss of a kind of Englishness - voiced powerfully in a moving elegy for the poet Ken Smith. While there is diminishing of his comic brio, dulling of his incisive, questioning intelligence, Blues finds John Hartley Williams taking on subjects of new depth and complexity - while maintaining his characteristic lightness of touch, imagination and profound originality.
- Author BiographyJohn Hartley Williams is an award-winning poet, novelist, essayist and critic. He has published nine collections of poetry, including Spending Time with Walter, two of which have been shortlisted for the TS Eliot Prize. He has also won the Arvon International Poetry Competition. He co-edited Teach Yourself Writing Poetry and he teaches English at the Free University of Berlin.
- Author(s)John Hartley Williams
- PublisherVintage Publishing
- Date of Publication14/10/2004
- SubjectPoetry Texts & Poetry Anthologies
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJonathan Cape Ltd
- Weight115 g
- Width132 mm
- Height198 mm
- Spine9 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.