All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $68.00Trending at AU $81.15
- AU $105.90Trending at AU $117.64
- AU $98.79Trending at AU $108.68
- AU $49.76Trending at AU $52.42
- AU $92.78Trending at AU $105.63
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $89.41
- AU $86.99Trending at AU $97.42
About this product
- DescriptionBobbio was the last monastery founded by St Columbanus, who died two years after its inception. It soon became the most important monastery in rthern Italy.Several dozen manuscripts, some lavishly illuminated, have survived from the first three centuries of its existence. The largest body of Old Irish glosses passed through Bobbio before ending up in Milan.The evidence for Bobbio in the early Middle Ages is richer than for any Irish monastery in those times, with a substantial amount of source material available on the ecomic status of the monastery in the late 9th century. This is the first full-scale study of this institution which will celebrate its 1400th anniversary in 2012.
- Author BiographyMichael Richter taught medieval history at UCD and at the University of Konstanz between 1972 and 2006. His many publications include The formation of the medieval west (2004) and Ireland and her neighbours in the seventh century (1999).
- Author(s)Michael Richter
- PublisherFour Courts Press Ltd
- Date of Publication23/05/2008
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationDublin
- Country of PublicationIreland
- ImprintFour Courts Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps, facsims.
- Weight499 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine25 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.