All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'Late into the night we talked of love, of its complications. In my father's eyes they were imaginary. . . This conception of rapid, violent and passing love affairs appealed to my imagination. I was t at the age when fidelity is attractive. I knew very little about love.'The French Riviera: home to the Beautiful People. And ne are more beautiful than Cecile, a precocious seventeen-year-old, and her father Raymond, a vivacious libertine. Charming, decadent and irresponsible, the golden-skinned duo are dedicated to a life of free love, fast cars and hedonistic pleasures. But then, one long, hot summer Raymond decides to marry, and Cecile and her lover Cyril feel compelled to take a hand in his amours, with tragic consequences.Bonjour Tristesse scandalized 1950s France with its portrayal of teenager terrible Cecile, a heroine who rejects conventional tions of love, marriage and responsibility to choose her own sexual freedom.
- Author BiographyFrancoise Sagan was born in Cajarc, France in 1935. She took her nom de plume from Marcel Proust's Princesse de Sagan and was eighteen years old when she wrote her bestseller Bonjour Tristesse. Having failed to pass her examinations at the Sorbonne, she decided to write a novel. It received international acclaim and by 1959 had sold 850,000 in France alone. Her other books include A Certain Smile, Those Without Shadows, Aimez-vouz Brahms..., La Chamade, The Heart-Keeper, Sunlight on Cold Water, Scars on the Soul, The Unmade Bed, The Painted Lady, The Still Storm, Painting in Blood, Silken Eyes and Incidental Music. She was also a playwright (her plays include Un Piano dans l'herbe and Zaphorie), wrote three volumes of autobiography - the last volume, Avec mon meilleur souvenir, appeared in 1984. Francoise Sagan died in 2004.
- Author(s)Francoise Sagan
- PublisherPenguin Books Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/2011
- SubjectGeneral & Literary Fiction
- Series TitlePenguin Essentials
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPenguin Books Ltd
- Weight68 g
- Width132 mm
- Height182 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Translated byIrene Ash
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $68.55Trending at AU $73.71
- AU $20.42Trending at AU $30.90
- AU $23.42Trending at AU $26.67
- AU $19.97Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $13.21Trending at AU $15.10
- AU $56.62Trending at AU $60.72
- AU $7.48Trending at AU $12.42
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.